Monday, October 15, 2012

Corrupted Flesh Tutorial


Old School here to talk about how I paint corrupted flesh on my Nurgle models, like this big guy in the photo above. The method is really just that ... a process and it can be easily replicated. If you are up for it, let's get started:




Alright, I missed the first step, but I caught myself as it happened. The very first thing you want to do is paint all of the flesh on the model Mephiston Red. Next, you will do what I started on the bottom half of the model in this photo. I dry brushed all of the fleshy areas with Emperor's Children Pink.


You want to get a lot of pink on this model, leaving only some of the red behind in the deepest recessed. That might mean you want to do two coats if you don't trust yourself with a little more than the average amount of paint on your drybrush.


Once you have the two coats (or on heavy one) down, you should have a model that looks sore, with the redder areas being in the folds or recesses.


Next, you will drybrush the flesh areas with Tallarn Flesh (or Cadian Fleshtone). This time, you want to pay attention to the areas that are legitimately flesh, so ignore the open wounds.


The idea at this step is lay down a layer that isn't overpowering. You should be able to see pink as if you had tinted the model into a flesh tone. Next is where it gets gross.


Now you want to go around the model and spot certain areas with the new Lamenter's Yellow glaze. put it places near sores or blisters and near the armpits or other folds (but not all of them).


Next, you want to take a purple wash, like Leviathan Purple and wash it into some of the sores and lightly into a few of the areas that you want to appear bruised. now let all your washes dry.


This next photo keeps turning sideways when I input it. I guess Blogger thinks it is smarter than me! Anyway, the next step is to dry brush Bleached Bone (or Ushtabi Bone)  all of the flesh, including the edges of the flesh near open wounds, but not the wounds themselves.


The drybrush should be very light and once you are finished, you will want to do it again on the most raised surfaces only.


The goal is for the model to lighten up as a whole, while maintaining the yellowed look in some spots and the purple in others, while the highest areas become the brightest. As you look across the flesh here, you can see the way the skin has taken the colors from the process and made them look natural, like bruises and pus under the surface or jaundiced skin.


When you have some practice in, you will find it pretty easy to build up this effect and as you build the confidence, you will begin to pick out areas you want to skip steps on, like I did on this shoulder section, where I wanted an Athlete's Foot look from the chaffing of straps against his rotten flesh!


Now, I didn't go into the leather, the exposed intestines or the armor here, because I really wanted to focus on the flesh method. It is deceptively easy and when I explain it to people I usually get "that's it?" in reply. Yeah, that's it. It's really a matter of how to apply it rather than color choices and mix. It's good, old straight-forward drybrush and wash techniques!



Once you get the rest of a model painted that already has the rotten flesh, you will really see the effect come through!


While I have only used this method so far on zombies, daemons, plague Marines and such, I think this is a great method for Grotesques, Chaos Ogres, cultists and anything that you want to have a corrupted look.


I hope you have enjoyed the tutorial as much as I enjoyed making it.


As always, let me know what you think and if you try it out, send us an e-mail to let us know how it turned out!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for this! I love getting good tutorials like this, it's incredibly helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good timing, OST! I'm building a Nurgle Palinquin and it's covered in gross. That thing looks disgusting (awesome)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done, excellent tutorial! It looks really disgusting and horrible and all the other lovely words used to describe Nurgle. You've almost made me want to start Nurgle marines now, which is a shame as I have no money. If I end up on the streets you only have yourself to blame!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really handy tutorial. Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for all the praise guys. I really tried my best to speak about the paint job in simple terms because it really is that simple. I think more methods out there should be shared since painting models shouldn't require some "trade secret."

    As far as you ending up in the streets, Eddie, I will weep myself to sleep on my bloated intestinal pillow when I think of all the filth I have helped you add to your collection!

    ReplyDelete
  7. most helpful nurgle tutorial ive come across thus far

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice tutorial! Any tip on how to use this method but to get a little more greenish look to the skintone?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Power Up Gaming Bundle in UAE, Micro Gaming PC Bundle in UAE, Gaming Bundle in UAE
    https://gccgamers.com/power-up-gaming.html
    Power Up Bundle in UAE, Safe Shopping Multiple Payment Options Express Delivery GCC Gamers Moneyback Guarantee.
    1634878842976-10

    ReplyDelete