Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Hive Fleet Behemoth Hive Guard and Gants!


Old School here with an update on Hive Fleet Behemoth. This time I have a group of completed Hive Guard and Termagaunts. As the army has grown, I have really started to love how it all looks on the table. There is something to be said for Tyranids that have been feathered and placed on the field in numbers. They really give a strong impression of movement and with bright colors, are seen across the room. Let's take a look at the newest broods in my Hive fleet (click on the pics to make them larger).



First up are the Hive Guard. Paint-wise, these guys were pretty fun. I loved painting th guns in shades of grey and adding that tentacle pink was something I looked forward to from the time I unboxed the models. One of the great things about these photos is that I just noticed, I didn't quite finish the yellow eye on the weapons for the Guard and the Gants. Now I can fix that.


Anyway, the Hive Guard aren't as much a part of my current lists as they used to be, but they still have a place. It's really just that Ymgarls and sometimes Venomthropes find their way into my lists and my anti-tank has to get a little more creative. Let's face it, Hive Guard have a big target on their head and sometimes, it makes them suck more than they should.


Hive Guard always have the same pose, though I don't see a problem with them. They were born yesterday (literally in many battles, hotboxed from Tyranid DNA and pushed out the door to fight - but like any set of twins ... or whatever a brood of a thousand would be called,) they have small differences.


Sometimes, I give my nids spots. While this may seem like a nice touch, it really is a little bit of tyranid laziness on my part. You see sometimes, we miss a stroke in the blue stage of the carapace and we end up hitting the upper highlights of an arm, typically at the shoulders. Now, I can try to blend it in with multiple, thin layers of blood red ... or, I can give it a few little freckles, which also appear in many of the 'Eavy Metal teams designs. You will see these little birth marks all over my army. A gaunt here or there, a Hive Guard ... it's a little time saving trick that happens to make it look like you spent more time than you really needed to on your army.


A little shot at the backsides. I purposely feather the carapace a little differently on each nid, since they will likely grow at seperate rates based on their environment and exposure to hostilities: creatures with such a rapid metabolism would divert energy from growth to healing and thus grow differently with the shell marking age and to a degree, experience. Odd, I know, but it is something I think about ... that and there are no true identical parts in nature.


Now we reach the Gribblies, the unwashed masses, the unloved, but often under-rated and under-estimated Termagants! These bad boys can be the bane of an enemy death star when supported on the table. At the paint station, they can really be a pain for the nid player. There are so many places that need detail if they are to reach the same standard as the bigger models, but with so many, it can really be a drag to paint them, which means you can try to do 50 and go crazy ... or you can do what I do and sneek five or ten in with each new Nid project you paint. This lead to me painting these guys to a higher standard and not really losing any steam doing it.


There will be more to come. I took a week off of painting due to real life and work issues, but I will likely be starting my Hive Tyrant this week and maybe his unit as well. Keep your eyes open for these as well as some other projects the teams has brewing. As always, let me know what you think!

13 comments:

  1. So are you re-buying all this stuff or you are just painting all of it differently?

    I have to admit I'm not huge on the hive guard single pose. They all look the same which is totally unlike most 5th edition models. The Finecast™ ones are so much better though (and that goes for all tyranids, really).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a little mix of rebuy and old stuff. One of my stumbling blocks before was owning so many nids. I know that sounds crazy, but I had a really amaturely executed color scheme and owning so many models discouraged me from even starting to get serious about painting even in that easy scheme. Now I have a much more focused approach. Honestly, with the hive guard, the single pose isn't too bad since what other pose would something like that have? I have seen them with their weapon pointed in the sky and such, but really what sense does that make? Nids neither take pleasure in destruction nor would they point their weapons in any direction save the most efficient. Not only did GW monopose them, but the fluff kind of did as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good 10 gants down about a couple hundred to go! I feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lookin' really good! I like the sharply contrasting colors and the feathering on the carapace looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Eric, I am going to have to test them against the Knight of Blood!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! Hive Fleet Behemoth is definitely the superior hive fleet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. look sweet. I'll for sure be happy seeing the many great battles on where men are left to sleep on bloody snow....unless its v the crons...then its...machines that self destructed. or did they....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone for the compliments. @CVinton, I do look forward to sending many meals to sleep in the bloody snow ... only to be reheated and eaten like a man flavored hot pocket!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have far more patience than I... I just can't do Nids for two reasons. One being that I need my armies to have a bit more personality in them... If the Genestealer Cult was still around, I'd be all over it! The other being that there's just TOO MANY MODELS for some of the fun concepts I've come up with! Very well executed and dang fine looking models, OST. Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love the look of these guys.

    ReplyDelete
  11. your refined skill in the colour done has inspired my brushes to commit to the work before them. I hope you don't mind me throwing your blog a shout out on weekly theme top x. Cheers and thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is  my testimony on how I was cured of HIV by Dr Akhigbe,with his natural herbal medicine.  on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a re as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. After a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, LIVER CIRRHOSIS, DEPRESSION, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, COLD URTICARIA, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS,INSOMNIA,  BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, INSOMNIA HEARTBURN, ,  THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, ANTI VIRUS, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, AND OTHERS VARIOUS DISEASES/ VIRUS.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +234 901 075 4824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete