Sunday, December 26, 2010

Killzone Updates: A Much Needed Improvement!

Old School here to say one last merry X-mas for the year and also to welcome in Operation Killzone's updates, which in my opinion, after reading them, were a much needed improvement ... so if you haven't seen Big Jim's Christmas post, you need to get there and download the newest books for Special Operation Killzone. I liked KZ before, but struggled with the army list part of it because I saw the potential for some serious WAAC exploitation (don't get me wrong, I love to win at almost all costs) and while I really wanted to run my Nids, It just seemed that 3+ armor and plasma would win the day outright most of the time ... but then there came the update and the addition of secondary objective cards and more important: Fate Cards. What the cards offer is a bit of randomness to the whole event and what's more, a solid chance of victory for every player involved regardless of army type. Now it is truly the most cunning player who can think at the highest levels of strategy who can win. You have to think on your feet, which as a real life Marine, I like a lot. So that brings me to my army selection. I know a lot of people voted that I should bring Ordos Xenos in the last poll represented by C:SM, but I think I will bring Nids with plenty of W3 and other trouble for the opponent. The only real FAQ type question I have is: "what is considered a special weapon for nids? If I take a deathspitter, is it a special? That is one I will have to shoot to the fellas at their forum.

So with that all being said, i think it is important to note that I am (slightly intoxicated... no, not that) wondering who else is coming out to SO:KZ at Adepticon and what army do you plan to bring. I wonder if I am the only Nid out there!

7 comments:

  1. Killzone just keeps on getting better and better doesn't it. I think it's one of the best examples of an amateur rules set out there.

    When are we going to see the 'nids list then?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm kinda unsure what this whole thing is about. Why not just play Necromunda? It is a great game, even better than 40k.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHAT? You could never play 40K Codex units in Necromunda with out doing exactly what Jim has done with Killzone

    ReplyDelete
  4. You don't need 40k Units in Necromunda, play with the gangs, the fluff is great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a throwback from the Mordheim/Necromunda period (the only games I could afford to play then), I can tell you there are major differences. Print out the rulebook, read it and the errata and missions and you will see that while it has the same story-telling value as Necromunda, it also has a different game mechanic. Put some miniatures on the table with a group who is interested and I am sure you will see the difference immediately

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice, I'll have to try it. I didn't mean to poop on the game in my original post. I just think sometimes Warhams get a little caught up in 40k (RAGE FACE!!) and should try other stuff :D

    ReplyDelete