Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Chaosgerbil's Elect of Tzeench: Counts as Taken to the next Level!

Old School here and in case you have never been to Chaosgerbil's Lair, you have been missing out on the progress of one of the best counts as armies in the works right now - The Elect of Tzeench! From the photos, it should be obvious what everything represents (the mark of any good counts as army), so here are some great shots from his blog. Enjoy.

Even more without the Fenrisian Wolves.







I love the predator riding on writhing tentacles.


His vehicle lot is awesome. The yellow writing and the faces painted in make it stand out and give it some serious flavor. I am not sure what that sea cucumber thing is, but it also looks very awesome.
.
I am promoting this army and his site because I want people to see what Counts-as armies can be. I think a lot of the people out there who are opposed to counts-as armies feel that way because they have been exposed to peple who just busted out a different power-armored army, put it on the table and said, look these guys count as Wolves or they count as angels today, with no modification and nothing done to make their models characterful within their own theme. I can understand how this can seem lame and I can also see when people bust out counts-as just to play their own models to make counts as lists with the most powerful units at the moment how that can be lame as well.
.
What I want people who have been exposed to those kind of counts as armies and people who oppose it in general to see is that some folks prefer a particular army's look (for me it is Chaos, for Cvinton it is Salamanders) and they want to use the army and its look and concepts to represent other books so they can play their models and their army more. They want to convert cool looking shit ad put it on the board for everyone at the FLGS to do backflips over - clearly, this is what Chaosgerbil was going for. CVinton right now is building a Salamanders army with guys riding Carnasaurs, Cold Ones and Stegadons, guys armed with huge, dragon-headed thunderhammer and generally cool counts-as stuff and it does blow my mind to see it even in concept.
.
I am building my Black Legion into a 14th Black Crusade force - an army that can represent any power-armored army with cool twists. Right now I am working on my fleshweavers - hulking half-machine, half-daemon creatures that will count as iron priests on thunderwolves who will lead genetic failures (cyberwolves) into the fray. I am drawing up concepts for a Black Coven - an army of chaos sorcerors and apprentices to act as the Grey Knights and i will keep going and converting and having fun with my chosen army.
.
With that being said, there are other good counts as out there, Black Matt is working on a World Eaters commission that can function in various books - We have all seen BoLS' Death Guard who can be both loyal and traitor.
.
Let me be the first to say that if you have a badass counts-as army that functions in several books, no matter what army it is and it is WYSIWYG, we will show it off here and promote it for you! Got a link, hit us up! Want to see more of Chaosgerbil's army or add him to your blogroll? Check out his blog at the link at the top of the article - let him know what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Awesome. Love the counts-as round up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey thanks man! You are correct in that I am trying to make everything as WYSIWYG as possible to give my opponents a break. It helps a lot to plan out your "counts as" ahead of time to avoid the last minute proxies that give this method a bad name.

    Although I am trying to paint up my Orks real pretty for next TSHFT, I am also making time to expand the army with "Long Fangs" and do some more work on my disc riding spawn TWC (failed Daemon princes). I will definitely be posting more pictures in the future. While the long fangs have been a challenge I will also need to make some drop pods, which will be quite a bit of work considering what I have planned for them.

    The "sea cucumber" is a Land speeder (roughly the same shape and size). It has only seen one game so far, partly because my dog bit off the tail shortly before my last tournament.

    ReplyDelete