Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Conversion Showcase: Hail Typhus, Zombie Overlord!




TJ here to show off my latest work on my Chaos Marines. With the Zombies done and posted earlier this week, I decided to get my Typhus conversion painted and ready to go. Now, this is the version of Typhus that I converted specifically for games that I run my Necron allies. I call him Canoptek Overlord Typhus, hahaha. All joking aside, I had a lot of fun painting and converting this model and I took a ton of photos, so let's take a look at this fat fellow:
First off, let me say that this is my favorite plastic clampack model. This model is very convertable and I have seen so many unique and creative takes on this model and I really have to credit the original creator for doing such a good job on this sculpt.

With that out of the way, I wanted to play with colors on this model. I knew the armor was going to be Yellow and Rusty and I knew that there would be flesh and also bone colors ... these are all going to be very boring by themselves, so I wanted to make sure I had a plan to included a lot of high contrasts into the paintjob to really help grab the eye. I also wanted to create a contrast conceptually between the grimdark aspects of the original model and the bubblegum-ish style of the paint scheme being carried over from my Necrons.


That said, I used my original Corrupted Flesh method to paint the flesh and based all the yellows on Tau Sept Ochre. From there, I washed the armor is Sepia and then came back and ran an initial highlight in Tau Sept Ochre. From there I worked in a rust effect using layers starting with Scorched Brown, then Vermin Brown and Mecharius Orange, which then got a little Leadbelcher added in on the edges to create a rust effect. I used that effect on the chainmail loincloth, the scythe and all of the other rust effects on the model.


Across the entire model, I used the new shades and glazes to create bruised and irritated flesh, pus, boils and more. Many times, the Orange Shade (can't remember the name) was used alongside Bloodletter to make blood effects that had different colors to them, as if some fresh blood ran over the old scabbed blood. In the front, you can also see more bruising effects and various shades of pus.


The base itself is some random thing I got from Chris Vinton after Adepticon and he has no idea where it came from, but it does have skulls in it, which worked well for this model.


A view from the top so you can see the skulls.


The greens in the Nurgle symbols are actually pretty simple: Base- Goblin Green, Highlight- Snot Green, Edge Highlight- Scorpion Green. The Blues are Base- Ultramarines Blue, Highlight- Hawk Turquoise, Highlight- Ice Blue.  The guts were painted with a special blood mix that I made when I painted my ogre kingdoms army, then highlighted with Genestealer Purple and then (the legendary) Tentacle Pink! All these colors together with the yellows and oranges really make this potentially dark model, much brighter ... and in a strange way, I like it.


Here is the Overlord chilling with his zombie buddies. As it turns out a Canoptek Zombie Overlord never gets lonely!

That is all for now. I hope that I was able to give you something a little different today! I am liking this bright scheme and I really like the idea of theming allies together. I would love to hear what people honestly think about the model in terms of painting and conversion and if you would like to see more. 

4 comments:

  1. Gross and waesome. Something I just noticed in the last few pics: The yellow armour on his leg/boot is about 2 shades and highlights away from a really nice NMM gold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dig it, T.J.! It looks like something out of Silent Hill. (Hopefully, you didn't hate Silent Hill! ) I'm pretty stoked to see someone running Typhus and Zombies and not proxying the shit out of them. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved this man, always thought he'd make a great Typhus. Hope you don't mind that I used this for inspiration for my own version! - http://imgur.com/a/7lNc7#0

    ReplyDelete