Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Adepticon, Ho!


Well, due to some miscommunication, this entry didn't get put out last Thursday as I was hoping.  So please read on, enjoy and pretend like Adepticon was just starting . . .


Well, it's been a brutal 3 months.

After the release of the Dark Angels Codex in January, my Adepticon team came up with the completely insane idea that we would dive in head first and take the Sons of the Lion to Chicago.

1000 points in 3 months isn't a big deal, right?  Wrong!  After you throw real life into the mix, 1000 points is a lot of freaking painting.  Especially when you are super critical of your own work and have the inclination to be completely anal when it comes to how your army looks.

21 models is what my force comprised of.  21 isn't a lot.  Oh, did I mention the fact that 20 of those models are bikes of one type or another.  You can pretty much count each bike as at least 2 standard infantry models.  That's a lot of extra surface area your brush needs to cover.

All complaining aside, I'm pleased with how my force looks.  My team has gotten a number of practice games in and I think we're comfortable with what role each unit plays in our scheme.  I'm even excited to expand my force beyond 2000 points after I return from the Windy City.

2013 marks my 3rd trip to Adepticon.  I'm very excited to make the journey as each trip has been a ton of fun.  This year brings a  two day format to the Team Tournament, providing more potential than ever.

What are our goals?  To be competitive, have fun, and look good doing it.  Well, at least the army will look good.




Here is my 1000 point portion of our Adepticon list:

HQ:  Sammael on Jetbike

Troop:  6 man Ravenwing Bike squad w/ 2 melta guns and sgt w/ melta bombs

Troop:  6 man Ravenwing Bike squad w/ 2 plasma guns and sgt w/ melta bombs

FA:  7 man Ravenwing Black Knight squad w/ 2 grenade launchers and sgt w/ melta bombs and power sword

FA:  Darkshroud Land Speeder

That's it.  21 models.  20 bikes and a land speeder, all black and sinister looking ready to take heads in the name of the God Emperor!

I'll provide an AA report next week.

If you see me, please walk up and introduce yourself, I'd love to meet you.  I'm the big dude in the 40K Fight Club shirt.

- Hornblower





14 comments:

  1. Looks awesome! Glad to see you dudes there.

    I actually picked up two Scibor bike marines at Adepticon to be my Librarian and Captain when I use my Mantis Warriors on bikes. Super awesome models!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw those. They're very cool looking. They'll make for great characters.

      Delete
  2. This army looks great. I really like the wings on the bikes and the fade from blue to white.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I used a different method between the first squad and the rest. The first I based the wings in blue then highlighted with grey and white.

      The rest, I started with grey, highlighted to white then used an oil based blue wash. Thought I matched it up pretty darn well.

      Now I have 850 more points to paint (at least).

      Delete
  3. Great work painting & customizing those DAs. I hated the darkshroud until i saw your model with the hatch replacing the front gunner. brilliant work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Cornu Mortem. I really didn't like the model as designed (obviously) so I themed the model on the US Airforcs AWACS plane.

      Delete
  4. Army looks great and you've got a month or so to finish it before the Eldar books comes out and you can start on next year's army. :) Looking forward to the after battle reports.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Models look great! Hope you did well and more importantly, had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh and since we are pretending this is last week, Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol I ran into Dan, Harth, and Brian but I did not see you I swear all weekend.

    the army looks great though. How did you guys end up placing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We talked a few times. . .

      Maybe you were drinking more heavily than I thought.

      We did pretty bad. In the 90's somewhere. Underestimated flyers. Over estimated Terminator armor.

      Delete
  8. Very impressive for just a few months work. You should be very proud of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I am. I'm counting 1 vehicle, 1 bike, 5 terminators, and 10 tactical marines to get to 1850. Should be much easier than what I've done thus far.

      Delete