Friday, September 28, 2012

Visit an FLGS: Rules of Engagement, Havelock, NC


Old School here with another walkthrough of an FLGS. This time we visit Rules of Engagement in Havelock, NC. The store is the closest one to where I live right now rather than one I am visiting like we have seen in past posts. Let's take a closer look at this FLGS and what it has going for it.
The first thing that strikes you as you walk in the door is the amount of gaming space they have - there is plenty AND you can't help but notice that it is clean! You would not believe how many stores I have been to in this country that were not clean at all, so whenever I find a clean store, it goes to a special place in the list of places I would like to play in.



There are plenty of tables here that are ready to play on, four of which are 12' long, several others are smaller but ....


... if you take a look at the shelves, there are ready made tabletops, themed to different battlefields that can easily be placed down over any of the tables. You could easily fit a 16 man tourney into the store with space to move around. I am sure, if I brought in a few tables (or anybody else really, though I do like to imagine the possibilities), you could likely have 20 people in there playing standard 6x4' board wargames. Tournaments are cool and all, but what I really like is the space. Being able to pop in on a busy Saturday Night (as I have) and not have to compete for space or deal with gamer-funk makes me much happier to visit the store.


As far as terrain goes, this is one of several shelves filled with ruins, rocks, walls and any other kind of terrain you can think of. When I went through it, it was not broken, it was mostly painted and ready to play with.



For a small town FLGS, this store has a TON of stock, including Fantasy, 40k, Warmahordes, Bloodbowl, Mordheim, D&D, DUST Warfare, Babylon 5, Battlefoam and more. I think this is important to me because I typically impuse buy things when I feel like having them and if they have them, they will get my money, if not, my impulse is sure to wear off or I will just buy what I want elsewhere. Good selections are good for businesses period.


The store is currently planning a Halloween event and may eve be host to a DFG event later in the year if they would have us. For moe information on the store and its location, hours and contacts, check them out on their Web site or visit ROEgames.

Overall, I think this will be a good place for me to find the local pick-up games when I am in town and certainly has the space to host painting competitions and event for any system. If you are traveling through the area, moving to town or want to travel just to check it out, check out the link in the paragraph above.

Now, let's hear what you think. Are you local or have you ever played hear? Would you come down for an event? Do you have a local game store you would like to submit a review of? We would love to hear what you think.

3 comments:

  1. Playing with the Wing now eh? Are they actually playing B5 in the store? I haven't seen that game in ages.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I'm actually working in J-Ville, but live in New Bern. I plan to cover the Hobby Chest next week as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in the state but over four hours away.

    ColKG

    ReplyDelete