Thursday, May 24, 2012

Winding up for 6th or winding down from 5th, which are you?

As we wind our way down from 5th edition, and the rumors of 6th edition coming out as early as next month, our FLGS has seen some interesting attitudes towards the news. We have seen both excitement and begrudging of both the new and the old, but no matter what we have to look forward.

Some  have taken the feelings and gone with excitement, assembling large quantities of minis and painting them as fast as they can (I  am looking at you CVinton), or playing as many games in their beloved 5th edition while they still can. Others seems lag behind, letting projects waver or deciding to not play anymore games until the next edition arrives in the hopes it will rekindle their love for the game.

Personally I am stuck somewhere in the middle of both these feelings. I mean, I have actually started to assemble and paint models again (yes I know far to slowly OST...) and while I am playing games still, and working on new lists and having fun with it, I know that with a new edition my entire outlook could change on what I am building.

I am looking forward to 6th edition with hope and wonder while sad to getting ready to say goodbye to an edition that has treated me quite well in 5th. I am equally excited that this new edition will bring some new blood to the game, and perhaps rekindle the love for some older players while also bringing excitement for -all- currently players instead of the small groups of players who get excited when it is their codex's turn for an update.

I'll admit, as a guard player I have been pretty damn lucky. My codex was good (or at least passable) right when 5th edition came out with its old workings, I could handle the new Space Marine codex and everyone else was in the same boat as me. Things definitely got better when the new codex was released, so yeah, 5th edition was nice from the start to the end. Yet at the same time I can see where other armies, like Dark Angels, or CSM might not feel so fortunate.

So I wait, and pray that thing will turn out well, that the game will change in ways that everyone will like (or at least most of us, who am I kidding with everyone) and that the game will still allow our FLGS to still be that same competitive and fun atmosphere that we pride ourselves on. I look forward to the first year at Adepticon where most people there will still be learning the rules, when a ton of gems inside the new edition will be unknown or unthought of like my first year there, where on the drive down The Judge was reading the rule book and stumbled upon the rule about Plasma Cannons needing to have get hot rolls done and then watching the amazement,  (and a bit of anger from his opponent), when he broke out that rule he had just learned two days before at the team tournament.

I am sure we all have some great stories of when transitioning from 4th to 5th first happened, and instead of worrying about how its going to effect this or that, lets take a step back, and realize that yes, things will change, but wont it be exciting to see how they effect everything? Won't it be nice to see total rethinking of how to make lists for different armies?

Change can be a bit scary, and it can go good or bad but remember fellow players we are all in this thing together right?

Until next time, burn some heretics, kill some mutants and do it always....

FOR THE EMPEROR

12 comments:

  1. Regarding 6th, we are just ignoring it, I have stayed away from the rumours as well. We just play our games exactly the same as we always do (we, being my gaming friends and I). When 6th hits, we will get together, have a read of the changes and get cracking with gaming again, just like we did from 4th to 5th. No point worring about anything, and no point planning anything until the book hits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's where I am with it as well. It will happen, no matter what, so when it does, we just adjust together and move forward.

      Delete
    2. Me too. I don't really get all the 5th edition is stale, we need a change talk that is going on. If some of the rumors are true the change will be interesting but I don't really have a strong feeling one way or the other.

      Delete
    3. Ya I get that, I have looked at the rumours a bit, but mostly I dont pay attention to it, the excitement for me of the new rule set is to learn it all over again with all my friends!

      Delete
  2. just waiting and working on what we have now. I still love 40k and have 5 armies to choose from so I am not worried.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I'm winding up for 6th all right. I reckon 40K's gotten better with every edition since 2nd. Quite the opposite of WFB in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been finishing up projects that have beening sitting on my workbench For while and holding off buying to much new stuff until I see how 6th pans out. I am in the sell nothing, buy nothing category. But am really excited to see the new rules set.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been finishing up projects that have beening sitting on my workbench For while and holding off buying to much new stuff until I see how 6th pans out. I am in the sell nothing, buy nothing category. But am really excited to see the new rules set.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am actually winding down from 40k proper and winding up on Operation Killzone, Combat patrols and INQ28. Each of these formats offer the chance for you to zone in on a select few characters and give each of them all that your heart can offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I await the new rules with feelings somewhere between excitement and dread, I pray its not Wardhammer 8th all over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am definitely looking forward to 6th with both a little excitement and a little dread. I played in 3rd and then left the game only to come back to 5th, so this will be my first active edition change. I read all the rumors, but pay them little heed. One way or another, whether I end up liking it or not I do look forward to exploring a new rule set with my buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am looking at 6th with some trepidation. Drastic changes may drive people off, but honestly I think there needs to be some changes. As to the rumors I am in the camp that most of the DFG crew is in. I will comment on the rules when I actually have them in my hand.

    The real thing I am looking forward to is a new Eldar codex.

    ReplyDelete