Thursday, January 13, 2011

Pre and Post Shading a Rhino: Airbrush Video


Old School here and recently, in my attempts to keep up with the Joneses (or the CVintons, lol), I purchased an Iwata HP-CS and began scouring the internet for GOOD advice. Starting with what tips CVinton gave me, I looked for techniques that I could practice and maybe even have success with at my admittedly novice level of airbrushing experience. I came across the video below during my research and have to admit that it offers a very solid guide to pre and post shading a rhino ...




Over the weekend, I will post a video of my own World Eaters rhino/razor that I painted for the 14th Black Crusade. I use a different paint to thinner ratio, but I applied the other techniques and air pressure setting to much success. As I get better with the airbrush, I hope to put out some tuts like this one from WGConsortium's Youtube channel to help other novices like myself with some "For Dummies" style advice!

Check out WGConsortium and hsi channel. Also, have you started down the path of the airbrusher? Have any experience or tips to share? Have questions of your own? We'd love to hear them.

PS. Also be on the lookout for a Compressor review video this weekend.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting. I got an airbrush for Christmas (an Iwata Eclipse CS) and am only just now getting the chance to really fool around with it. How little I know is painful.

    The video... I was a little disappointed. It sounds like an interesting technique that I'm looking forward to fiddling with, but I'd prefer a bit more contrast between the shadow and the highlights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is easy, rush, just don't apply the base color as heavily or in as many layers as he did in the video. I also was a little disappointed with the finish, but the potential for use beats any disappointment I had watching the video. Also, knowing what psi he was using ect, is good info for a novice as that is usually where the mistakes come in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took an airbrush class with Matt Fontaine. If you can pick it up at GenCon or Adepticon (I THINK he's going to be there) you should. It's a great intro for those of us who have zero AB know-how.

    Sadly, I still sit air-brushless and haven't had a chance to try anything I learned, but hope is fashionable these days. Right? :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is a similar airbrushing technique pioneered by a famous Gundam model builder Max Watanabe called the "Max Technique".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely. Playing with the air pressure is something that hadn't occurred to me, but is clearly key to being able to use it properly.

    ReplyDelete