Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Let me introduce myself



Big Jim here to introduce myself to those of you that may not know me and refresh the memories of my friends in the community; I have been wargaming since the young age of 8 so well over 30 years; my father was a gamer and I have followed in his footsteps. I love wargaming of almost every shape, size and genre. From the ancient world to the far flung reaches of the far future and most everywhere in-between I love rolling dice.

I have been playing 40k since the 80’s and don’t see that changing. I have been blogging since 2009 and up until last year I was a host of Deepstrike Radio a lore centric 40k podcast, unfortunately that had to end. In 2010 I along with some of my blogging buddies created a fan made skirmish game for 40k called Special Operations Killzone; it was successfully run as an event at Adepticon in 2011 and 2012. I have also written my own fandex for my Chaos Space Marines, that has been tested and talked about on the Independent Characters and 11th Company podcasts.

More recently I have been working on a Horus Heresy version of Killzone; it is a great way to tip your toe into 30k without breaking the bank! So as you can tell I am not a stranger to tinkering with games and using house rules.

Speaking of recently I got to help bring back a favorite sci-fi setting of mine from the 90’s as a freelance game designer. I wrote the mission system and missions for Mutant Chronicle Warzone Resurrection; the Kickstarter for this game was much more successful than Prodos games ever imagined. It was a glorious thing to be able to write for a setting that I really like! Warzone Resurrection is a scalable skirmish game that can be played with as little as 11 models to anywhere up to 40 models in a large game. I cannot wait until it releases to retail here in the US in March!

Anywho, enough about my past and let’s talk about what I will be bringing to DFG. I will be doing a lot of talking about skirmish gaming through both Killzone’s and Warzone Resurrection; going through the ins and outs of how each of the systems work. I will also talk about the unique modeling opportunities that there are with skirmish gaming.

So until next time, keep your powder dry and lead flying!

5 comments:

  1. Welcome. I'm a big fan of Killzone. Got to play it at Adepticon a couple years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I follow Jim everywhere, he already knows this, and now you all do too.. You did a good thing bringing Jim on board folks, very good indeed. A man with more passion for Gaming than this you will be hard pressed to find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Big Jim! Great to have you here!

    Special Operations Killzone stands as a proud achievement, and easily one of the coolest hobbyist-devised systems projects around! I also have a huge soft spot for the old Warzone 2nd edition plastic starter minis, so seeing that setting brought back will also be interesting!

    Looking forward to reading your next posts, sir!

    Cheers,

    KS

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the welcome guys! I really do look forward to sharing my love for skirmish gaming with y'all! Oh and Hexter, the restraining order says you must stay two blogs away from me; thanks for the very kind words Brother! :P

    ReplyDelete