Friday, November 9, 2012
The Project Hellworm is Complete! Time For Paint!
Old School here to say - It is Done! Yes, I have finished the Hellworm and it actually just got primed before I sat down to post this. I figured it wouldn't be right to not post the completed model pre-paint, so here she is!
Overall, she got little maggots in her wounds, some extra divots in the barrels and rotor group and some base work done.
I am so happy to see that a month of on and off work (about 20 hours) finally paid off and this thing is a legit model now. The addition of the spiked rotor spindles was one of the last touches, but after that I went around the rotor areas with the dremel and cleaned up some parts and dirtied some others.
I messed around with a reverse side of the rotors with several spindle ideas, but decided to not add them. Nothing looked right and in the end it isn't going to matter.
Thankfully, I found that driftwood I showed you in the other posts. I actually screwed it into the bottom of the base and it serves as a perfect counter to the weight of the Hellworm.
With the primer already drying, you can expect to see this bad mamma painted pretty soon and I am losing my mind waiting for the day when I can put it on the table. I cannot wait to see the faces of my opponents as I whip my worm out ;)
In the end, while we messed around with wings and all kinds of options, I am glad I went with the rotors. They look great and they really helped me boost my confidence working with plastic card and PVC components. It also allowed me to pull out some power tools, which always makes me feel extra manly.
I tried a number of concepts with the base from zombies to worms to tons of nurglings (yes I think I quite literally have tons) and nothing seemed to be as effective as a simple base with some little extas like skulls and a nurgling.
Once I get to painting the base, I will be whipping out my water effects and some of my fancy reed basing material and such and it should be sufficient to work with the model without taking the attention away from the worm.
With all of that said and done, I am going to settle down to a hearty meal of Peanut Butter Cup cerial and a beer, just like mom used to make.
I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who helped give opinions and ideas along the way. I also want to thank all the people who offered up encouragement. You all motivated the hell out of me and helped me drive this model to the end in just under a month. This is your project too. So, let's hear what you think of my newest child, the Hellworm!