Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Weekly Painting Challenge Write Up, Week 1 Million!


Old School here with another weekly round up from our Painting Challenge contributors! It is incredible that it has been going this long and as I look back, I think I am going to have to count the KP (or VP now) to see how far we have gotten as a collective!
Up top is Mordian7th's Imperial Guard Abhuman Beastmen! Here is what he had to say:


Suffered a fairly serious bout of army painter's fatigue recently with the World Eaters. I've been cranking them out for months, but the event for which they're designed isn't for another ten months. That said, I spent a fair bit of time over the past week sorting out the hobby loft and doing some (late) spring cleaning. My eye fell on the stacks of Imperial Guard, and I figured it was well past time to work on the Mordian 7th Regiment again.
The new edition rulebook has some interesting references to abhumans, and as the Mordian 7th is (in)famous for their heavy use of them it seemed only appropriate to finish painting a unit of Beastmen that have been languishing in an unpainted state for over three years!
In game, I use them as a Penal Legion squad with the Knife Fighters skill. In order to balance out the 'choosing' of the special ability, they forgo the use of any ranged weapons, losing the lasrifles the unit is otherwise armed with. It was nice to actually work on the guard again after a significant hiatus, though the 40-some-odd primered guardsmen that still await paint are a bit daunting...
Looking forward to seeing everyone's entries for the week!



Next up is Brian's New and improved Traitor Guard! The change in Edition has really Inspired our good friend from Lead Legion. Here is what he had to say:


You've maybe noticed that I've missed a week in the KP challenge. That's because, with the release of 6th ed and the gubbing my lads got at Chaos of the Warp IV, I've been taking my Guard Army in a completely new direction. I'm shifting away from a purely mechanised force to a foot-slogger army. This mean's I've had to start collecting some new units and modifying older ones. I've also taken the opportunity to go back and add a few stages to my speed-painted IG. I'm much happier taking them to tournaments now. Meanwhile, the Dark Eldar are on the back burner.
\
Anyway, here's an example of the improved paint-job, inspired by the Stormtrooper scheme I came up with a few weeks ago. I think you'll agree that they already look a lot better with this new scheme. Not to mention the additional stages of highlighting and detail work they've had, particularly on the faces. Because these are re-paints, they won’t count for the KP challenge, but I thought you might like to see what I've been up to.

That is it for this week. I am very excited to see where the coming weeks take us! I expect to drop some more Crons on you tomorrow with maybe a Dark Angels Twist by the end of the weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Nice! Really dig the new look on the traitor guard, Lead Legion - they turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those Beastmen, they looks incredible. And thanks Mordian. I'm painting up a brand-new command squad at the moment, so I should be back into the challenge soon.

    ReplyDelete