Tuesday, January 3, 2012
40k Chaos Sorcerer Conversion from Fantasy Manticore Parts!
Old School here with my first creation of the New Year for you, a Chaos Sorcerer created from parts of the Chaos Manticore kit from the Warhammer Fantasy Storm of Magic. From day 1, I was stricken with this model and originally bought it to be a Fallen Dark Angel objective marker, but I have been enjoying my Chaos Marines lately and plan to add him into my existing force to fight beside my Iron Warriors, Death Guard Maggot Legion and my World Eaters.
I loved the chains and the hidden face effect of the hood. The giant scythe didn't really speak to me until I had the model together in my hands.
First, I would like to say that the base is just here to stand the model up for photos as I am still looking for basing ideas, also the sorcerer will be leaned forward more to match the motion in his chain cloak and robes.
The chain cloak is easily one of the coolest thing GW has pulled off on a model in a long time. If you look at it, the links are even barbed. I love the skulls and the flow of the chains. Don't worry either, it is removable for the moment as it will need to be painted separately and it seems they understood that, making it kind of a snap on piece one its three parts are together.
And there is that scythe! I still think that it may be to over the top, but at the same time, it is pretty cool and would be a great force weapon! The chains swinging between his legs are mounted to the spot that used to be a piece of belly armor. I got a little to exited with the hobby knife and damaged the plate, so I replaced it with the metal chains from the old Bloodcrusher kits (they finally are useful!).
I kept the other hand as well, since the sorc's bolt pistol or whatever will likely just be a holster piece I add to his waist prior to painting. Also, in the pics here, the back piece actually mounts down tighter to the cape, but with the parts being separate and my hand not being there to hold it, it is popping up a little.
Like I said, he will be based on something cool and will be leaned a little forward. If you are curious about the legs, my wife said he needed to be 40k'ed up a little, so I took some assault Marine legs, shaved down the bump that usually fills in the Space Marine torso, cut the wizards cod piece off (ouch!) and mated them together. I then pinned straight through the whole model with the rod that will serve as his flying rod. Before gluing, I the cut the legs of each set of legs (the sorc's and the marine's) and swapped the knees down out, giving the sorc just enough 40k - power armor look to be right, while keeping his olden, chaosified, artificer armor look.
Finally, the chest was bare on the original model, so I made some green stuff cables using the Green Stuff Industries Tentacle Maker (which is a must have item in my opinion, and gave him the standard libby power cable treatment. I then added the skull from a shaved shoulder pad icon to the middle of the chest.
If you are interested in where I got the Tentacle maker, check out Green Stuff Industries and if you need some cheap bits from the sorcerer kit, or any kit really, I recommend Horde O' Bits on Ebay as he has been my bitz man for over 2 years now! I think I won all the sorcerer parts I used for a total of $7, not bad for an HQ!
In any case, keep your eyes open for more Chaos as I prep for the upcoming codex and enjoy my first real 40k love! Comments and ideas are always welcome!