Converting Arachnarok into a Tervigon: Part 2, Along came a spider!
Old School here and I am making some progress with the conversion of the Arachnarok into a Tervigon. I went with the drider concept as you can see under the influence of the commenters and the authors here. I am pretty happy so far and have a few pics to share and some questions to ask of all the skilled converters out there, so let's dive in ...
... alright, since I am the only person I know or have seen on the web making this conversion right now, I have decided to take some aspects of this conversion to places I otherwise may not have. The arms for instance. I wanted the arms to be large enough (or long enough) to be able to reach down near the ground level, after all, how would this creature defend itself. So what I did was craft a couple of large scything talons into some wierd "claws" of the claws and teeth persuasion, which could also serve as Crushing Claws in a pinch. The ends are made from the forked tail from the Trygon set. The right arm (model's right) is repositioned thanks to some sharp blade work so the arms don't both look the same.
I decided to craft the legs from scything talons to balance enough tyranid parts into the model to outweigh the spider parts. I cut the thumbs off the large carnifex talons and shortened them to look like the might have the girth to support the massive abdomen of the Tervigon. I then used the smaller carnifex talons for the front limbs to give that creepy spider reaching look while also balancing out the shartened length of the rear limbs. I also used shorter limbs since the height of the model would be equal to the Trygon if I did not (this is a HUGE model). I may still cut the thumbs from the front set of legs, but I am not sure at this point and have left them for now.
Oh, I should also mention that the arms and head are magnetized so I can customise the head and switch out the arms for scything talons or crushing claws if I want. The top mounts on the carnifex torso will be filled in and covered with a bit of modified carapace later to hide the holes and to add a little armor to this beast. (there is still quite a bit of green stuff work left to do).
The abdomen was originally covered in little holes with spiders peeking out ... this would not so, so I made green stuff lumps to match the existing lumpy abdomen parts and to enhance the swollen nature of the creature. I may add some areas where you can glimpse the shape of a termaguant head as well st some point but haven't crossed that bridge yet.
Here is a view of the other side. There is a gap in the bottom of the model I will likely use to display a gaunt in mid-birth from the belly of the spider. That will be under the abdomen and just in fron of the two little spinneretts on the backside.
Here is a view of the rump, which required a little filling in the gaps left suring construction. If you are building a Tervi from this kit or just building the fantasy model, be aware that there will be gaps that need filling, so have the GS or other gap filler ready.
Here is the part that I really want to get some thoughts on. Now I know I said there will be gaunts birthed from the bottom, but there is also this opening which used to be the spider's mouth, but now looks like a rather nasty birth canal. I could cover this with armor and GS in the rest by sculpting flesh, but I wanted to see if folks out there thought I should leave it and build up some flesh around it to look like gaunts may also be birthed from the front of the model. For this I would make some slime effects to mimic the mucus seeping from an active cavity.
Here is another view of it. On one hand, I wonder if the area would just seem like an exposed weakspot on an otherwise tough looking model or if it would look awesome to have a nasty birth canal in the front. Take a look at all the pics and the anatomy of the model and let me know what you think.
All in all, I am very exited about this peice, though there is much work to be done. I can't wait to hear some feedback from you all to get some ideas about where to go from here so I can finish the construction and move on to the painting of this nasty "mom bug"!