Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Eldar Fire Prism Construction Question: Pesky Turrets!





Old School Here with a question that came is from Chris via e-mail. Here is the question:
.
"I got a question for you experts.
.
I recently bought a Fire Prism kit and I'm having problems with how it
sticks together. Both the turret and the flying base are extremely
loose in their slots. I would like to be able to pick up the model by
the hull or at least the flying base without fear of having pieces of
the model flopping off and potentially damaging my tank.
.
So my question is, is there any way of creating more friction between
these pieces without going overboard and gluing the bitch together?"
.
Well, I can tell you that I am no Eldar expert, but I know how ridiculous the prism cannon is and how much of a pain falling turrets can be in general, so here goes my response.
.
When in doubt use magnets. When I want something to stick, but not forever, I use them. Now the easiest way to do this would be to shave off the nub on the tank where the turret is meant to attach.


.
Now take a rare earth magnet (I would use a 1/4" disc for this job) and glue it to flat are you will create when you shave off the nub. I buy mine here.
.
Now that you have a nice magnetic surface on your tank, you can now look to the turret. If you use a rare earth magnet, you won't need another one for the turret (one is strong enough), so instead, use a metal flat topped screw, not too long, but broad on the top (make sure it is magnetic - I take magnets to the hardware store with me). Now just screw it into the plastic on the bottom side of the turret (this is why it needs to be short) and check as you screw it in until the screw and the magnet met at the point you would like them to and so the tank looks natural.
.



At this point the tank should be fine when you pick it up by the hull. As long as the screw you use is magnetic, you will have a strong hold and a removeable turret as well.

.

That is just my advise as a modeller, but keep in mind I haven't actually assembled one of these before. With that in mind, there are some regular members of our community (Seer K comes to mind) and some authors here on this blog with some experience who I hope will chime in to either confirm my idea or to present their method. If there is anybody else out there with a link to a photo tutorial for this question or with some better advise, please sound off and we'll really give Chris a broad range of good solutions to his problem!

3 comments:

  1. For the base I'd reccommend Ninja Magic's magnetic fllying stand adapter: http://www.ninjamagic.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=19&

    I use these on my landspeeders.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those connectors look very interesting, I talked with Seer K and his Prisms are all glued down I guess. Now I have a much better idea on how to save my tanks from some despair of being moved. Thanks gentlemen for the advice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. there is a lot of droop in the new prism cannon. I am still trying to come up with a way to use magnets but as is I would just glue the whole damn turret. I have been finding turrets and such on ebay so thats the route I am going with. Granted I already have 3 old fire prisms that I like better than the new design.

    ReplyDelete