Monday, April 19, 2010

What kind of General are you?


Last Week CVinton opened up on the idea of playing for fun and playing for status. While I don't think that the two are mutually exclusive, I have on rare occassion, seen a player or two in my time who only comes to win and will cry, punch things and throw a little hissy fit if he cannot win. Now that is a rare player, but still part of the community.
.
It is understandable if you would like to win games. I like to win games. At the end of the day, however, it is just a game ... and as CVinton pointed out last week, it isn't something you are going to run out and brag to your in-laws about "What-up, pops, I'm got me like 20 bloodcrushers and smashed this 16 year old at the store. He wishes he could afford an army like mine."
.
With that being said, I would like to open the floor to our community of followers and contributers to hear what kind of player you are and what the hobby means to you.
.
Are you just out here to win (nothing wrong with it as long as you are having fun)?
.
Enjoy winning, but not going to cry if I get beat?
.
Just like to paint and playing is a way to show off my skill?
.
Gaming is how I socialize with my friends?
.
Any other way of describing yourself?
.
I can tell you that for me, I can get pretty competitive and can get on tangents where I want to beat face, but most of the time, I am pretty laid-back. I really like to go to the FLGS and talk and play a game or two (been doing more of it lately). I like to build army lists that can truly face all comers and then take them to the store to attempt to prove it. I have been more and more leaning into the painting aspects and modelling aspects of the hobby and have been really working on getting some crazy looking units on the board (Khornemas Marines ect.). At this point, I would rather be known for bringing a killer-looking army than to be known as the "beardiest git in town"
.
But now that you know what kind of hobbyist I am, what about you? Why do you devote your time to building, painting, playing Warhammer 40k?

2 comments:

  1. myself, i like to play casually. HOWEVER! for some reason there are a few people i just can't help but get competitive with. i find that if i don't tell my self and my opponent "this is a friendly games" i lose control at the first sign of a poorly measured scatter die.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, are you up for a friendly game Wednesday?

    ReplyDelete