Friday, October 2, 2009

Captain Obvious's Dark Eldar Army Breakdown 3: Warriors


Hey all,
.
Captain Obvious here with another installment of Dark Eldar units; the troop choices. Unfortunately we do not have a wide selection of choices to choose from. We basically only have 1, but they split it to have one be on foot and one to be mounted in a raider. Each has different weapon options and number variances.
.
The first variance I will cover will be the sniper warrior squad. This is a simple troop choice that accomplishes a simple mission. This squad’s whole purpose is to shoot tanks and/or monstrous creatures. I find the best number on this squad is 10 warriors with 2 dark lances. Granted you will have to take a leadership when you loose 3 warriors, but it’s not that bad. I have proven many times that rolling 1s and 2s constantly is good for one thing…..LEADERSHIP TESTS lol.
.
There really isn’t a huge tactica to go along with this simple 100pt squad other then post it on and objective in your deployment zone if u can and keep them in cover and make sure they have some good firing lanes. If you’re bad at LD tests you can up the number to 13-15ish depending on how much you want to spend per squad. Last pointer on these guys is KEEP THEM IN COVER as much as you can, our entire army wears cardboard and paper armor, milk any cover save you can.
.
The next variant of the warrior squad is the raider squad. I love these, I usually run at least 2-3 of these bad boys. I number my squads from 7-10 warriors and always run the Splinter Cannon/blaster combo for weapons. These are very versatile units. You can rush and hold far objectives or fly around causing havoc with a 36” dark lance and a 12” dark lance. For around 140pts you have a squad that can pop tanks and rape hordes. I try to keep these squads naked. I never see a point in pumping them up when all they are going to do is die or crash……then die.......Its going to happen there is no way around it….face it.
.
When I move these squads I always move them as if they are going to crash and be difficult terrain for my enemy….or cover for me. One of my favorite tactics for this squad is to run them up 12” right in front of an enemy unit, rapid fire all my splinter rifles and pop the dark lance and the blaster. Then when they shoot it down it is providing cover for the other….more important raiders moving up behind them…that way I don’t have to move flat out with them and will still be getting cover….and still getting that dark lance shot. It’s the gangster Dark Eldar drive by.
.
When doing this drive by keep in mind that when you shoot the Dark Lance from the raider you can also shoot the squad at a separate target. I usually attempt to pop a transport then rapid fire the hell out of the troops that fall out…and the blaster being S8 AP2 is a nice way to almost guarantee a dead model.
.
I made a list that revolved around warriors and raider squads and it was a NASTY list. Tabled a Tau player with it. It is just too many transports and big guns for people to worry about. And seeing as Str3 weapons are usually wounding Tau on 4+ it’s a nice way to force a lot of armor saves.
.
It is a nice tactic and when played correctly it can be a very good list. Only draw back is in annihilation missions you have to completely table your enemy or else they will win just by the fact that you have around 19 Kill Points. An up side is you will rape people in objective missions.

No comments:

Post a Comment