Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Vulcan Who? Update and possible list

I just wanted to post an update on this darker counts-as Vulcan He'Stan model. I am thinking about removing the skull shoulder pad, thou it is dragonish and there is much work to do cleaning up the green stuff work, but as I put him together, I started to think of ideas for a possible list which could be fluffy and pretty nasty on the board.
I had an idea similar to Goatboy's Hammertime list from BoLS, but with vulcan in place of one of the Libbies, but then I really like shooty armies and I wanted to exploit the forge-happy aspect that a Salamanders offshot army could bring to the table, so here it is.
.
Vulkan Hestan (or in this case, the dark version)
.
Master of the Forge Combi-Melta, Thunderhammer
.
Techmarine with Servo Harness, Powerweapon and Combi-melta
.
10 Space Marines Meltagun, Multi-MeltaCombi-Flamer Drop Pod
.
10 Space Marines Meltagun, Multi-MeltaCombi-Flamer Drop Pod
.
10 Space Marines Meltagun, Multi-MeltaCombi-Flamer Drop Pod
.
3 Landspeeder (3) Multi-Melta(3) Heavy Flamers (either single or in squadron depending on mission type)

Dreadnaught - Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
.
Dreadnaught - Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
.
Dreadnaught - multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon
.
Dreadnaught - Multi-melta, Heavy Flamer, Extra Armour, Drop Pod, Locator Beacon

No doubt there are fluffier lists out there, but I thought about a founding chapter that is turning as not being able to find many scouts, so I left them out. I figured with their cult of fire, they would also stick to melta and flamer to the point of stupidity, but in this case I think it works pretty well. Then given that they are born from the Salamanders and they are devoted to the forge, they would certainly have plenty of tech-marines and with the existing cult of Prometheum preaching so much about endurance, this many dreadnoughts doesn't seem like too much od a stretch either.
.
Gameplay wise, this army will come down in DP assault with the four dreads landing first turn to pop any and all tanks or, in cases of hordes, roast all the little bugs, orks, guardsman from the board. The rest of the army should be able to come in pretty accurately bases on the locator beacons with the dread pods.
Vulcan, the Master of the Forge and the Tech Marine will each land with a squad and either take and hold objectives or go hunting themselves and the lans speeders will be there for hunting and late turn contesting.
I am not to worried about enemy anti-tank ability because there is so much AV12 on the board, most armies will not be able to handle it, especially when I plan to take out most of their anti tank capability in the first turn.
.
I will tell you that I am normally a bigger fan of mech (being a chaos player) and I normally see horrible drop pod armies on the table, but I really like this army. Feel free to comment and let me know if I am smoking crack or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment